Thursday, October 8, 2020

The Importance of Child Personal Choice in Education

In The Case Against Homework, Stephen Hicks writes:


When we work because we have chosen it and like it, we find plenty of energy for it. We also find ourselves wanting to work outside formal hours — that is, to do home-work. But when our jobs feel like an imposition on our lives, then we become demotivated. We can’t wait for the workday to end, and we resent any overtime requirements.


The same pattern is exhibited in childhood education. Consider how motivated children are when they have chosen their own projects. Then they are alert, absorbed, inquisitive, and persevering. The distinction between “work” and “play” dissolves. Home-work become home-play. [sic]


This struck a personal cord. I can identify with this observation. I hated school. In high school, I was failing my ninth grade science (among other courses). In a private conference with my science teacher, my mother was told about an upcoming term paper assignment. My mother mentioned that I was very interested in weather. Problem was, weather was not one of the approved subject choices for the paper. But my teacher, Mrs. Haver--to her credit--told my mother to inform me that I could do my paper on weather.


Well, I dove right in, turning out a massive document, on which I received an A+. More interestingly, part of the term paper requirement was to give an oral presentation to the class. It was to be about 5 minutes or so for each student. When my turn came, I happened to be first up on that day. So, I got up there and got started. As I went along, kids occasionally raised their hands to ask a question. I was sailing along when suddenly, Mrs. Haver interrupted, saying I had to end the presentation. I said, “But, I’m not finished.” She said, “But, the period’s over.” The whole period--40 minutes. (Yes, me. The person terrified of public speaking, even to a school class. The person who once played hooky to avoid an oral book report.)


Hicks is right. Education, to be education, must be interesting to the child, and infused with a healthy dose of personal choice. 


[P.S. I raised my grade from “F” in the first marking period to a “B” in the second. I’ve always been grateful to that science teacher for giving me that opportunity.] 


Related Reading:


YOUR CHILD IS NOT STATE PROPERTY by Tom Bowden


Pseudo Self-Esteem vs. the Real Thing


The Comprachicos by Ayn Rand


Education: It’s the Philosophy, Stupid!


3 comments:

Burr Deming said...

This is one of several videos, all from reputable sources, that I believe support your central point. Thank you for your thoughtful, insightful message.

I expect we will be posting a link to your article tomorrow.

principled perspectives said...

Thanks, Burr

Isabella Lucas said...

My ex-husband and I had always managed to stay friendly after our divorce in February 2017. But I always wanted to get back together with him, All it took was a visit to this spell casters website last December, because my dream was to start a new year with my husband, and live happily with him.. This spell caster requested a specific love spell for me and my husband, and I accepted it. And this powerful spell caster began to work his magic. And 48 hours after this spell caster worked for me, my husband called me back for us to be together again, and he was remorseful for all his wrong deeds. My spell is working because guess what: My “husband” is back and we are making preparations on how to go to court and withdraw our divorce papers ASAP. This is nothing short of a miracle. Thank you Dr Emu for your powerful spells. Words are not enough. here is his Email: emutemple@gmail.com or call/text him on his WhatsApp +2347012841542