Saturday, February 15, 2020

QUORA: Why can't libertarians name a single successful libertarian experiment in running a country?--2



Here is my original answer to this question. A related Question was posed in the answer column by Ted Lesher: 

Many responses to this question cite countries with “economic freedom” as being successful. Could someone explain what is mean (sic) by “economic freedom,” particularly in those countries? Could someone explain the relationship between such “economic freedom” and libertarian ideals?

I left this answer:

The best way to understand economic freedom is to consider the nature of religious freedom. Religious freedom is made possible by the doctrine of separation of church and state. This means that people are free to choose and practice their conscientious beliefs (religious or nonreligious) so long as they don’t violate the same rights of others.

Likewise, economic freedom is the doctrine of separation of church and state applied to economics—the separation of economics and state in the same way and for the same reasons as the separation of church and state. People are free to work, contract, and trade so long as they do not violate the same rights of others.

Under separation of church (or mosque or synagogue, etc.) and state, the government is neutral, neither imposing nor forbidding nor dictating any religious doctrines, interests, or activities, such as imposing a tax to support a favored religion or mandating Sunday worship or school prayer sessions. Under church/state separation, the government steps in only when someone initiates force or fraud against others, say by sexually mutilating women and girls or by denying a minor child essential medical attention on the pretext that “God will provide.” 

Likewise, under separation of economics and state, the government is neutral, neither imposing nor forbidding nor dictating any economic activity, such as regulating prices and wages, labor organizing, contracting, or imposing taxes and granting subsidies to favor one economic interest over or at the expense of others, etcetera. Under economics/state separation, the government steps in only when someone initiates force or fraud against others, such as cheating a consumer by misrepresenting one’s work product, breach of contract, or whose work interferes with the use or enjoyment of the property of another. 

Absent rights violations of others, each individual is free to follow his conscience (religious freedom) or work and trade with others on mutually agreed terms (economic freedom), without government interference. ( I am indebted to philosopher Ayn Rand for identifying this parallel.)

Like religious freedom, economic freedom relates to the “libertarian ideal” insofar as that ideal means each individual has the inalienable right to freely live and act by the judgement of his own reasoning mind in pursuit of his own goals, values, and happiness. Since economics is the field of work, trade, and voluntary cooperation in which humans must engage to materially support their own individual lives, economic freedom is integral to the “libertarian ideal” of individual freedom.

I should add that full economic freedom has never been achieved. All economies, even the freest, have been burdened by some level of government interference, distortion, cronyism, and hampering. Also, there’s more to economic freedom than just economics. A substantial level of political and intellectual freedom are required for economic freedom to fully flourish over the long term. But generally, the prosperity enjoyed by a country’s citizens directly correlates to the degree of economic freedom they enjoy.

Related Reading:


 The Capitalist Manifesto—Andrew Bernstein

9 comments:

Mike Kevitt said...

In any human culture, all human action, such as economic, religious and others, takes place within a context of central control of human relations by means of physical power.

If that central control in a particular culture consists only of physically prohibiting initiatory physical force, according to appropriate rules duly legislated, which then are uniquely called laws, we then have a fully free culture, or country, and, thus, we have full economic freedom. Economic freedom does mean, as pre-requisites, full political and intellectual freedom.

Some 'substantial' level of political and intellectual freedom might be enough to yield full economic freedom, but, the further from full that might be, the more precarious and unstable it would be, endangering full economic freedom. It admits of some level of displacement of politics and intellect (reason) by arbitrary action, by arbitrary rule or with no pretense of rule, which will inevitably start displacing economic freedom and all other freedom.

As far as full, pure and perfect, intellectual, political, economic and other freedom is concerned, that is all an unattainable ideal. Why? Humans lack omniscience. But, with reason as the sole faculty of human consciousness used in establishing and maintaining the central control of human relations by physical power, we can come as close as possible to perfection, and keep it that way in perpetuity. And, if we do the best possible with a continuously expanding human knowledge thru reason, THAT should be called perfect and ideal, not an unattainable 'ideal'.

Everybody, not just libertarians, should cite this as an experiment in successfully running a country. This is really a well established procedure in most sciences, as it should be in centrally controlling human relations by physical power. It is an 'experiment' only in that it takes place in the context of the human lack of omniscience, as in all science.

Unknown said...

Herbal Penis Enlargement product is 100% guarantee to Enlarge and get a better ERECTION ,the reason why most people are finding it difficultto enlarge Penis is because they bedlieve on medicalreport, drugs and medical treatment which is nothelpful for Penis Enlargement . Natural roots/herbs are the best remedy which can easily Enlarge your Penis permanently Contact Dr Olu via Email : Drolusolutionhome@gmail.com or via WhatsApp : +2348140654426 for Natural root and herbal remedies put together to help you get Enlarge and Erect healthy. Thank you.







Herbal Penis Enlargement product is 100% guarantee to Enlarge and get a better ERECTION ,the reason why most people are finding it difficultto enlarge Penis is because they bedlieve on medicalreport, drugs and medical treatment which is nothelpful for Penis Enlargement . Natural roots/herbs are the best remedy which can easily Enlarge your Penis permanently Contact Dr Olu via Email : Drolusolutionhome@gmail.com or via WhatsApp : +2348140654426 for Natural root and herbal remedies put together to help you get Enlarge and Erect healthy. Thank you.

precious pound said...

Hello everyone am here to give my testimony about how Dr Apala brought
back my happiness.Dr Apala have really be a good man to me, he help
me cured my HIV virus after two years of suffering and now am a
living testimony to the world and my family are now happy again
just like before all because of the herbs Dr Apala prepare for me.
Dr Apala is a well recognized herbal doctor all over the world,
he is very important in the society because he have the cure and
treatment to all kinds of diseases,and bring back my happiness within
the space of 21 days.If you also need his help you can contact him
via email: dr.apalaherbalhome@gmail.com you can also call or whatsapp his +2348114047176
mobile number
(1) HIV/AIDS
(2) HERPES 1/2
(3) CANCER
4) ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
(5) Herpatitis
(6) Emphysema
(7) COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
(8) asthma
(9) Acute angle-closure

Unknown said...

I have be dealing with herpes for the past 5 years until i got review online about Dr.Iyayi people testifies how they got cured with his herbal medicine. And i order the treatment, after taking it for 14 to 16 days i totally got cured with Dr Iyayi herbal Medicine. I'm recommending you diagnosed with herpes should get this Herbal Medicine and be cured because his herbal medicine is guaranteed and safe and there is no side effect as well. contact his email; doctoriyayiherbalhome.org@gmail.com and you can as well whatsapp or call him via +2348162352979. I want you to know that Dr Iyayi also cures all kids of infections and viruses, including HIV.

monika love said...

I has suffered for Human papillomavirus HPV) for 2years, I was given some tablets at the hospital but I refused to take it, They said I have to be on it for life so I don't want take a drugs everyday for life. No point in taking medicine everyday when u won't get cure from it and I was advice to seek for natural herbal cure, after some time I found dr onokun is the most trustful herbalist that have herbs to cure wicked symptom's,I emailed dr onokun, for 2weeks been his patient he cured my (HPV) with his herbal. I only used his natural herbs for two weeks it was 100% cure. I'm not (HPV) patient anymore. I'm happy about it i finally got cured out of this mess been in my body for 2years. I also recommend you if you're living with (HPV) or herpes symptoms i also want you to be free contact dr onokun with the email attach to my post. Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

robetharmonton said...

I was diagnosed of herpes virus, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor called Dr Agaba, who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including herpes virus (Herpes), when i contacted this herbal doctor via email, he sent me herpes virus herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 3 weeks of usage. Contact this great herbal doctor today to get your cure. 
Via Email: Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486

Unknown said...

Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HERPES virus again. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HERPES) for the past 3 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR agaba helped someone in curing his HERPES disease, quickly I copied his email which is Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, behold I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on : Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486  

larry isaac said...

HOW I CURED FROM THE HERPES VIRUS
 I was diagnosed with the HERPES virus and I have tried everything possible to cure myself, but all to no avail, until I saw a post in a health forum about a herbalist preparing herbal medicines to cure all kinds  of diseases including HERPES virus, at first I doubted it was real, but decided to give it a try, when I contacted this herbalist through his email (ishiakuherbalcure@yahoo.com) and he prepared me a HERPES herbal cure and sent it to me through the service of  DHL delivery company, when I received this herbal medicine, he gave me step-by-step instructions on how to apply it, after applying it the way they directed me, I was totally cured of this deadly disease called HERPES, all thanks  to Dr. Ishiaku, contact the great herbal doctor through his what-sapp Via  +2348180828544
HE  CAN ALSO CURE DISEASES LIKE   
 {1} HIV / AIDS  
 {2} DIABETES  
 {3} EPILEPSY   
 {4} BLOOD CANCER   
 {5} HPV  
 {6} ALS   
 {7} HEPATITIS B
 {8} LOVE SPELL 
 {9} SICKLE AND ANEMIA {10}INFERTILITY^Beware of fake doctors and anyone who uses this testimonial again is a scam Only Dr. Ishiaku  can help you
IG: @dr.ishiaku

Tamara Barrow said...

Hi Friends i am so glad to writing this article today to tell the world how Dr voodoo cured my HSV VIRUS,i have been detected with HSV-1 AND HSV-2 since five years ago, ever since then my life has been in complete bizarre and agony,i have used so many drugs that was prescribed to me by several doctors,but it didn't cure my HSV VIRUS neither did it reduce the pain,until a certain i was checking for solution in the internet,then miraculously came across Dr voodoo the powerful herbalist that cure numerous individuals HSV-1 AND HSV-2 INFECTION,then i contacted his whatsApp number at +2348140120719 or email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com i explained everything to him and prepared a cure that cure my HSV-1 AND HSV-2 disease totally after receiving his herbal medicine, so my friends viewers why wait and be suffer when there is someone like Dr voodoo that can cure any disease HIV/ CANCER/ HEPATITIS B VIRUS, you can contact his via : voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or WHATSAPP +2348140120719